Monday, March 28, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Thai Soul


I had an entire day to myself today! Nick and I have been switching off working every other day at new school that is an hour from where we are currently located. Every morning a white Mini Van [a really nice one to be honest. The inside is decorated like a limo, complete with flat screen tv, speakers, and led lighting all along the top.] It is packed with Thai Teachers, who insist that the A/C must be on freezing at all times.

Summer school is about to begin and we will FINALLY start teaching.  While we are still deciding whether we are going to move away from the main campus, which is really where the “social” scene is (if you can call it that). We have been moving around so much, I just want to plant some roots for a while! So today on my day off I decided it was time to fully unpack, and attempt to decorate and make this apartment feel like a home. [We just moved into our school apartment a week ago]

First things first, I rolled out of bed at about 9:30. Walked to the road to pick up a Song Tao, and went to the grocery store. Here I picked up some ingredients for my famous Chicken Soup. [Chicken,Carrots, Broccoli, Onions, Tomatoes, Pasta, what ever else I could find.] It was actually surprisingly chilly out today, and the mood was right! After the grocery store I walked back home and started preparing the soup!

 Our kitchen actually isn’t bad, we have 1 gas burner, with the big tank of gas sitting next to it. (Kinda scary, haven’t attempted to use it just yet) We bought ourselves an electric Wok .The apartment came with a combination rice cooker and a crock pot, a fridge, and a bunch of utensils! I really enjoy cooking, so it was nice to finally have a place with a workable kitchen.

Next chore on the list : Laundry, I know what you’re thinking “What a little housewife” But Nick did the laundry yesterday, which cost 40B (a little over 1$). And that’s just for the washer; dryers are few and far between in Thailand, So we do our best to share the duties! We have to hang everything, which can get very creative.Especially, when you have to make sure to stick to the culture; Socks on the bottom, and no under where are to be shown. It’s been about 2 days, so my jeans should be dry by now! I went out on the porch and took everything down, folded it nicely and put it all away.
 
Cleaned up around the house for a little bit. Swept and opened all the windows and aired out our apartment. It’s such a good feeling! A clean house, windows open and the smell of Chicken soup in the air!  It immediately reminds me of Lake Lugano [My home in Jacksonville, Fl.] Those random days when I would hear one of my roomies cleaning and it inspired me to clean the whole house!! I relaxed a little and continued some reading. I am currently in the middle of Eat Pray Love.
I really like it, better than the movie of course, but I’m not that fast of a reader, I read in little spurts.  We have no TV, or Internet in our room so I do have plenty of time on my hands. We did buy this air port card which we use more often at work to keep ourselves entertained in our down time, but it’s  v e r y  slow, basically dial up.  Luckily, I brought a bunch of games and movies with us so we do have some form of entertainment, thinking about getting a Texas Hold Em' Tournament going soon! Actually, pirated movies are easy to buy over here, even ones still in the theatre, and they only charge about 2$ per movie, needless to say my collection is getting out of control! Our apartment is pretty big, and it is soo close to the school we WONT be working at! Bummer :[ But none the less, it is what we call home till... who knows?
Over all it was a lovely day, Summer school will be starting on the 1st so it was a nice down time day.  Nick should be home shortly, and we will probably go to the Internet cafĂ© across the street, Skype with who ever is on, then watch a movie and eat a bowl of my Chicken Noodle Soup! :)



The view from our appartment door,
you can see the school through the trees!







This Blog is Dedicated to :
Cassi Carrington because I thought about her through-out my entire my day! <3 You!!


4 comments:

  1. Hello Lisa.
    So good to here from you again,We had a great time with Julie, last week she was a big help to me ,I will miss her. Thank You Julie.

    Your apartment looks great nice and cozy.It is raining right now and a cool breeze is flowing through the house. Have you felt any after shocks yet? Japan just had another Earthquake. Not to worry you but, do you & nick have some sort of plan ,in case of an earthquake or something? Just a thought.
    I will keep trying to reach you on Skype ...talk to you soon ,be safe ..I love you and will keep you in my prayers...I love you DAD. Peace & Love .

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i LOVE it! You've made a home for yourself! i bet the aroma of Lisa's chicken soup made all of your neighbors jealous. but i am confused....the school in the last picture is not your school? you'll need to explain next time we chat. love the curtains btw. remind me of zta! chat soon my amazing sister! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice place, Lisa! Glad you have a place to call home. I understand how that must make you feel more comfortable. Good choice on the soup. It looks delicious. Good luck with Summer school. Hi to Nick, too.
    We love you.
    Kim & Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those days!!! Your chicken soup has been many times imitated but never duplicated. I wish I was there to smell the clean and chicken noodle!! Your apartment looks sooo cozy! Great job my little housewife! ;-) miss you so much and one of these days we'll catch eac other on skype! Muah!!!

    ReplyDelete