Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Favorite Things



Living in Thailand has been quite the experience! On a daily basis I see so many new and interesting things that really nothing surprises me anymore.  For example, Last night on our way home from dinner a huge rat ran by us and went underneath the sidewalk, 5 minutes prior to that a family of ducks were eating garbage out of the dumpsters, and prior to that, a little boy was sitting in a field playing with his pet rooster.

Aside from the many different animals I see every day, there are many things I have grown to appreciate about Thailand. I’ve decided to compile a list of my favorite things so far.

Rain drops on roses, and whiskers on kittens…[Sorry could not avoid that one!]

1. First things first, would have to be the people. Everyone can be so kind and friendly, with out fully understanding the language we seem to get around quite easily. As long as you don’t walk around like you own the place and greet everyone properly, the Thai people will do their best to work with you.

2.  In most restaurants when you order a beer, it comes with a Koozie, (or as they call it a Beer Condom). Genius, I wish bars in the states would catch on to this ingenious idea, then I wouldn’t have to bring one with me everywhere I go!

3. This one kinda goes with number 2, under Restaurant etiquette, it isn't rude to bring your own liquor places, and just pay for a glass of ice or mixer!

4. Your body aches, and you want a massage. Here you don’t have to spend a days pay for one, nor do you even have to make an appointment, just walk in. Tell the lady what you want and for how long… 5 American dollars and 1 hour later, you walk out relaxed and refreshed. The availability of massage parlors is endless, with at least 4-5 on one block!  So if there is a wait, one is never very far. I am averaging about 1 every Week in a half. :)

5. Mosquito’s are everywhere, and a constant battle. Putting on Bug Spray has actually become part of my daily routine; Brush my hair, wash my face, put on deodorant, and spray down from head to toe with bug spray.  They actually have re-invented the fly swatter, and it has quickly become my favorite past time. It is a tennis racquet but instead of normal strings, it is electrically charged! Like a fly swatter bug zapper, its gets so hot that the bugs actually spontaneously combust!

6. Friendly taxi drivers who like to learn English, as a trade for new Thai words. 

7. All Asian babies... I may take one home with me. 

8. The relaxed attitudes and lack of rules. 

9. All the pens here are Fine Point, I would search high and low for them in "The States"

And number 10. [Submitted by Nick] - " The lack of Douchbags"

Well that’s it for now, I shall be traveling to Northern Thailand for the next week or so, to visit Chiang Mai and do a quick Visa run to Laos! We are taking a 14 hour train ride and should arrive some time tomorrow. We are traveling with our two wonderful friends Michelle & Cassandra Many stories and pictures to come! 

See you soon! 

   Cheers!



4 comments:

  1. YES! Exactly the fun stories I wanted to hear! I would also like an Asian baby. JEALOUS, of course, of your frequent massages. But you totally deserve it! Go Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo it really is the litte things in life that can make you happy huh???? OH YEAH bring home a asian grandchild !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Only Kidding lisa only kidding.

    Buy some silver jewlery and send it home and a nice tablecoth too!

    Love ya

    Marge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you are three months into your Journey now and you have spent most of the time on the road ....how cool is that! You have not missed much in the States yet , Gas prices are going up everyday $ 3.45. last night . Spring training started...American Idol is on 3 x a week , unemployment is hi, housing is down .... Skyping with you ...Priceless! LOVE YOU.....Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like such a magical place. Cheap massages, no douchebags, and I can even just prop myself in a field with my pet rooster. When I do that here people throw things at me.

    ReplyDelete