Monday, June 27, 2011

How many people does it take to get 1 hair cut?



With this hot weather, It was time for a change. So, after much consideration I decided to cut my hair short again. Simple task you would think. Go to the beauty salon. Tell them you want a "bob cut" pay the girl and call it a day. 

Well, as easy as that sounds, when you are in a different country and the only hair dresser around speaks ZERO English, you have to make due with sign language and the little Thai that I do know. 

In the past I have just had a short trim, but my hair was pretty long. Below my shoulders for sure. So I simply gestured what I wanted, showing an angle and short hair! The woman knew what she was doing, but when you are chopping someone's hair off you want to be sure that it is right. 

Luckily, there is a little boy that lives in our building who is half  Thai half American. Over the past few months he has taken a liken to me, and follows me where ever I go.  I thought he would come in handy this time, because he can speak very good Thai and English. So picture it 2 grown women trying to explain to a 6 year old boy what I want to do to my hair. 

"Mai Kow Jai" = Do Not Understand. 

I think my hair dresser was just very hesitant. I am a forang, she does not want to screw it up! So she left to look for the 1 other person who speaks good English. Luckily she was here. Mai, our apartment manager. She is all of 24 years old, and has her BA in accounting. Very smart, funny and sweet girl! She came in, her English is the best out of everyone but still not perfect. So she tells me to tell William (the little boy) what I want, then William told Mai what I wanted (in Thai), then Mai told the hair dresser! 

At this point I was beginning to feel a little nervous, who knows how this hair cut could get lost in translation. When you have 3 people trying to explain in a different language, and one of them being a 6 year old boy!! She kept saying "Bob tail, Okay?" 
I'm like a Bob Tail, I hope I don't walk out of here with a rat tail mullet! 

Cross your fingers XX

I just told myself, It is only hair and it can grow back.... In the end I think it turned out fabulous!

and for 80 Baht- a little under 3$ You can't complain. 

 On a side note I haven't dyed my hair since I have been here.



Side view, Classic Bob!




Random Blog I know, just thought some may enjoy! 

Cheers! 




*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_


QOTD: Would you have had as much trust in the hair dresser as I did? 

6 comments:

  1. i would have been so nervous! its like a game of telephone. who knows, it could have been translated to "american wants green highlights!" looks fab though! you are brave. :) (but thats old news)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does not matter how short you cut your hair , you would look beautiful if you were Bald!! Speaking of bald I am thinking of shaving my head ..it is very hot and humid in Florida right now. what do you think? should I or not? I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing! LOVE it and probably, way low maintenance!
    cousin Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a sex kitten!!!! I'm loving the kissy face. An ABSOLUTE must!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have such a hard time with this lack of control!!! But hey, you know me! That's why you're there and I'm here haha! It looks fab though! <3

    PS... Tell your father no shaving of the head! haha

    ReplyDelete