Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thai khanom, Simply a delicious treat!

Living in a foreign country, you come across many different things. Different smells, different sounds, colors, foods. And here is no different, Thailand is infamous for it's desserts. Unfortunately, you don't always know what you are getting yourself into. This is mainly because of the way are disguised. Trial and Error has brought this tasty little treat to me, it is called 
Thai khanom. and this is what it looks like:


What is inside your guess was as good as mine? Its wrapping is made from banana leaves, the dessert is cooked in this. It is usually held together with a toothpick, but this guy is more high tech with his staple. 

















Inside you find a thick gelatin like substance made with what I believe is sweet rice and coconut. [But don't quote me on that] 
























The inside can be stuffed with anything, and I have had the misfortune of experiencing a great variety of things to which I had no idea what I was eating, my least favorite black beans. This one is definitely my favorite, I like to refrigerate mine before I eat them, the coconut is cold and the banana is nice and crisp!


and in two little bites it's gone!  


                   Thoughts?! Looks good? Or Bad? 


Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Is this for me for reasons I am thinking... Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't look appetizing, but I bet it tastes delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It kind of sounds like a freeze pop lol
    Your travels sound fascinating! Im jealous!

    Genuinely,
    Kelly

    http://helloboudeau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete