Friday, July 22, 2011

Thai Elections: July 2nd



Thai elections were a couple of weeks ago, and some of you may be aware of the situation in Thailand, but most may not. Just last year, there were bombings in Bangkok from protesters. The 2 groups are "The red-shirts" and "The yellow-shirts" point blank because they wear red and yellow shirts. They are basically like Republicans vs Democrats. One supports The King, and the other doesn't. 
Years ago there was this man named Thaksin. Thaksin, was prime minister at one point, but was so corrupt that Thailand actually banned him from the country. He lives somewhere in Europe, but is still heavily involved with Thai politics. He owns all the telephone companies, and still has many supporters. 




Election time is pretty similar to American politics except politicians are not allowed to have advertisements on the television or on the radio. But that doesn't stop them from plastering signs all over Bangkok to spread the word. Or riding around in cars with recordings being played over mega phones, or supporters handing out flyers etc.  The numbers on the posters represent their voting number. Some have a pretty standard and forgettable image while others like this man below takes the cake! 

This is Chuvit, made a fortune in Bangkok soap massage parlors, I.E. bubble bath brothels*. He would pay the cops millions of Baht, in order to stay open. Yet, being the true politician that he is, his campaign is "Against Corruption".

 Take a look at some of his hilariously funny advertisements:

Message: The government, says
Chuvit, is steering the wrong way!
Chuvit's message: 
Baby's diaper needs a change, 
    and so does the Thai government.
 "Trust"
You can trust your dog more
 than a politician these days.








The result of the election was triumphant but scary. On July 2nd, 2554. Thailand officially voted in their first female Prime Minister. A woman no other than Thaksin's sister, the one mentioned above who is banished from Thailand. He even went on record saying, "She's my clone."  While she says she wont let him influence her decisions.


The coordinator at my school told me prior to voting that she helps campaign for her province. The following week I asked her if the person who won was who she was campaigning for, she stopped and looked at me bewilderedly and said, " No one has ever asked me that before, in Thailand we do not speak about it." She seemed more pleased than annoyed that I asked her and responded simply by saying "Yes" with a big smile.


During the elections Alcoholic drinks are not allowed to be sold. They don't want to impair judgement or  cause any riots. Their way around this?  Sell drinks that don't look like alcohol to the naked eye.  Sneaky
Thais! 

                     At the end of the day it is kinda refreshing to learn the way their government works. The whole world is screwed up these days, not just America. As horrible as that is its reassuring to hear. We can only go up from here. 


[ I hope] 


Cheers!


P.S. This is all based on what I could put together from talking to other people and reading on the internet. 


*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_


QOTD: Based on the pictures above, what # would you vote for and why?


*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_




Citation:

The photos do not belong to me. I did not take any cause I knew I could find them on the internet. 
MsExPat, Thai Elections 2011: The Surprising Rise of the Massage Tycoon
Retrieved July 4, 2011, from http://www.correntewire.com

5 comments:

  1. I would have to go with 12 he seems to have an honest face. and big ears! but who cares..... I miss you, hurry home !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok ok, so I guess it was a matter of time before i disagreed with some points on your post...

    First off, all politicians are not corrupt. Your statement implying that all of them are (although its an opinion) is false. Having worked on the "inside" its just a horrible reputation that politicians get, because of a few morons (IE Anthony Weiner, Tom DeLay). So, as a future politician myself, I just wanted to set the record straight on that. We can agree to disagree, but you better change your mind when I run for office.

    Next, I get that you think America is screwed up. Yes, our economy is in the shitter, yes the political divide has never been greater, and yes unemployment is high...BUT....we still have fresh water, solid infrastructure, safe neighborhoods, and many opportunities to build a better life. The list goes on. I wish you would look at our country through a different lens, or at least try to.

    Now that my American Pride rant is over, some comments about Thai elections:
    - I love that they aren't allowed to broadcast on TV. Its such a waste of money and becomes overkill during campaign season.
    -No alcohol during election time? Preposterous! How does one celebrate?
    -Props to the Thais for electing a woman PM. I don't care if its a sister, mother, daughter, whatever. Its symbolic that she was chosen, and I hope it paves the way for the little girls you teach every day. :)

    Thank you once again for an educational post. Sorry for the long response. But thats going to happen when you write on my favorite subject.

    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have American pride, but just not in our government at the moment. Where are these trustworthy politicians now? What are they doing to move forward? They are probably collecting unemployment because they didnt get re -elected last year. They are out there, but they are not in high positions of power.

    As for Thailand- which is what the post was about: There is still a fair share of drinking going on..it stops at 6pm day of voting. And according to some of my friends this is a common practice. Mexico doesent sell any alcohol either. I do hope it inspires young girls in my class to aim high, instead of becoming a working girl.

    Thanks for your response!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa!! I was dying laughing at the posters of #5. I'm happy the girl got elected!!! I love when women achieve leading roles. I'll take a vodka orange, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #12- who doesn't like a bubble bath brothel? ;) & I second the vodka orange

    ReplyDelete