Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Q. & A.

I want to leave this post open for questioning. 


Each blog entry I try to include a little knowledge so you feel you gain something from reading. Tell me what you want to know about! 


Nothing is off limits.




What do you want to know?





Also, check out some links that I find helpful and entertaining...

If you are interested in:  

Teaching in Thailand :

Ajarn.com is teaching in Thailand headquarters, you can apply for jobs, resume help, cultural questions, what to wear, ANYTHING teaching related. 

Languagecorps.com this is the program I used to get TESOL certified. It is totally legit. I chose Thailand but they  have different programs all over the world. 

Thaivisa.com Not only help and guidance with Visa questions, but current events and  information guide to Thailand. 


For Fellow Travelers: 

Couchsurfing.org a website dedicated to free accommodations.  You need a place to stay? Someone, somewhere wants to be your host. Complete with references, and verifications.  

Travellerspoint.com  a great place to plot your trip on a map, look at beautiful pictures, blogs and more...

And finally just to  be entertained and informed, I like to watch a little Philly D on YouTube. 

*None of these people are paying me to advertise, However they are welcome to! 



  Let me know what ya think... 
and Thank You or Korp Kun for reading! 


Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Questions Answered: 

1. How's the food in Thailand? 
 - The food here is pretty good, it is more the experience of eating street food that I really enjoy. Pad Thai,is definitely a favorite followed by Cashew Chicken. The thing is its a third world country, and nothing goes to waste. When they cook with meat every part is present... and sometimes I just want to dive in and enjoy, not pick out different ligaments, etc. However,if you go to a nice restaurant in Bangkok you get properly prepared food. Their specialty is sweets. The amount of desserts they have is amazing... if you can fry it or load it with sugar they're on it!

Overall I'd give the food a solid 3. 


2.  Are the Thai people friendly? 
 - They call it "The Land of Smiles" for a reason. Taxi drivers have been the best and most friendly, going out of their way to ensure safety. [Of course there are the random jerks] But people will go out of their way to help you, and are very friendly and hospitable. But, don't cross a Thai, you cross 1 you cross them all...and I'll put my money on the Thai's every time. After living here for a while, you begin to learn the difference between real Thai smiles and fake. 

3.Do you understand the language? 
- It can be difficult at times, but other times I have a decent understanding of the situation. Context clues and sign language help a lot. My goal was to learn a new word a day.. which in the beginning I was able to do easily, but now its more once a week and focusing on the tone and sentence structure. I do enjoy speaking Thai when I can, and get a very positive response when using it.

4. How long have you been living there? 
- Living in Southeast Asia since January 2011. Journey began in Cambodia for about 3 weeks for my TESOL certification. As of August 1st, 2011, 7 months. 

5. Would you recommend teaching in Thailand? 
-  Please keep in mind I have only worked at 1 school and this is based solely on that 1 experience, it is different for everyone.

 I love my life here but teaching can be quite a challenge. I have always respected and been interested in teaching, but it has never been my "calling". I think that's why I can teach here. If you are someone who went to school for teaching, have your masters etc. I would recommend an International School because they are more serious. 

6. What are the malls like? Name brand stores?
- The malls here are absolutely beautiful. Very big and VERY WESTERN. Also, they are everywhere. They usually have a supermarket, movie theatre, and a karaoke bowling alley combo. There is actually this store in one mall that has a combination of clothes from Target, Forever 21, American Eagle, Aero Etc. They have almost every store we do and then some. Excluding Department Stores.

7. The best recipe for Thai Green Curry? 
 I actually don't have one for Green Curry, but I'll work on that. I do have a recipe for a dish called, "Tom Kai Gai. " A white chicken coconut curry that I really like. Here is a previous blog entry with the recipe Read Me! It is towards the end! :) Let me know what you think. 

8. What are some cool Thai Slang? 
- This question has inspired me to learn more, for now I can offer.
 "Sut Yat", used like the word Awesome. 

9 comments:

  1. Lisa, How's the food in Thailand? Are the people friendly? Do you understand their language? How long have you been there? Would you recommend teaching in Thailand? Can't wait to hear from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the malls like? Name brand stores?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you post the best recipe you've found for Thai green curry!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are some cool slang phrases?

    ReplyDelete
  5. come home I miss you..end of story....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Questions! Thank you very much and keep em coming!!!
    Your answers are posted in the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I'm going to try and make it this weekend with my girlfriends who are coming to town. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,

    Thanks for answering ALL of my questions. My niece Jennifer just graduated college and was considering teaching English in Thailand. I'm going to direct her to your site. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for answering my question. And thank you SO MUCH for adding my blog to your website. That is really special! Just a note: I moved my website to http://kristajoweishaar.wordpress.com/ and have added your blog to my new site, as I will be deleting my own. Keep up the great posts! I miss SE Asia.

    ReplyDelete