Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The dog days are over.

I have officially, survived my first Cambodian day, and I  must tell you, it was not half bad. The place we are staying is really cool and about a 2min walk from our school. In the morning we all meet downstairs in what would be a "lobby" of a hotel but its nothing like that. It is very (for lack of a better word) quaint. It is basically 6 long tables where anyone just sits down at, it is open to everyone but if you are staying at the guest house you have your own individual book, and when you order food u write down in it what you want and at the end of your stay pay for everything. So far its the only place that Ive eaten because the food is soo good and cheap! For breakfast yesterday i had an omelet sandwich with ham, cucumbers, and tomatoes on it. But the menu has everything on it from Banana pancakes, to iced coffee. I am actually, Jonsing for the omelet sandwich right now, so as soon as i get dressed, and finish my homework for the day that is what i shall have. 

So our first day of class was yesterday, and it was nothing short of amazing. True to form we stood up and said our name and something interesting about us, just to help get acquainted. At first i was a little skeptical it would help but I'm horrible with names, but it really worked, definitely a tool i will be using in my own classroom to help remember my students name. Yesterday it actually hit me that i am going to be a teacher. Ya know the kind with kids, i will administer test, ill teach them simple dialogue " Have you eaten yet" "No I'm Hungry", I have to make lesson plans! 

We have 3 teachers and i really like 2 of them and the other guy is alright, doesn't really own the classes attention... but we make due. It is very laid back, but serious at the same time, our teachers are very informative and at one point before i leave i pan on buying them a drink and picking their brain so i can get every ounce of of wisdom out of them! 

Our day starts at 8:45 and ends at around 5:30, so i do have a full schedule, the fact that its 7:15 AM and Ive been up for an hour already is a little hard to grasp, but i like being in a routine. (Even thought this is only my second day haha) 

In class Nick and I had already made a name for ourselves being the "2 people who weren't there yet" everyone was worried and looking out for us! Its really reassuring. It was actually one of the girls birthdays yesterday and of course we all already knew (thank you facebook) and sang to her during class, bought her a card, and yes even had a party later that evening for her. I can only imagine, that she was pretty bummed that the first day she was here it was her birthday, assuming no one would care. But this group of class mates is really our family away from home. We bought her a card, and chocolate cookies since we couldn't find any cake, and all got together drank some beers and danced to what i now call the universal language " Michael Jackson" ! The Cambodians are very kind, friendly people and its actually funny how much they know about the world and people in general... they see Americans and say, "Hang 10 Dude", or " Alright BRO" or if you are Canadian, " hello AYE" , they seem to know All the stereotypes and have a blast just walking up to us and having a conversation! 

So far I have met some really really amazing people, from backpackers on the go, to people living here for years, but we all have one thing in common, the curiosity of what else is out there besides what we know, the urge to learn about the world, its really refreshing! 

I'm excited for what today has in store for us, there is a German pub right around the corner from our Guest House, and i think a couple of us were planning on going there after class today. Nick stayed out last night playing pool with some of the guys. Its somewhat hard being the only couple in the group, we want to stray away from being "That Couple" but so far i think we have made a good impression! Our teacher even asked us in front of everyone if we were a couple after the name game, and I said yes, and immediately followed with "But i promise we wont be lame!!" and i could feel a sigh of relief in the room.  

English is really everywhere, its crazy how much people know about America, its not all the horrible "Dumb American stereotype that i assumed would be here, I mean its still out there but its not All people know. People are intrigued by Americans, and seem to hate us, but secretly want to be us. I actually think I insulted a Canadian in my class when i over heard him saying " Just remember, we're on top" and i replied back with, " Or Piggy backers", I was joking. (Kinda) Even though i am on the other side of the world, I don't really feel THAT far away. I really miss my family and friends, and hate being on exact opposite schedules, but that comes with the territory i guess! 

Anyway, i have some "dialogue" homework to get to, and have to get ready for a full day of school! I hope everyone in America had a great day, As i am about to start mine! 

Much love to all, and thanks for reading <3 

(On a side note, I'm sorry i haven't been capitalizing my "i" , don't hate me for my grammar, Its 7 in the morning and its way to early to write properly every time!! )



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the PSA about your lack of capitalization!! I lol-ed. I also LOL-ed at the part where you said they say "ALRIGHT BRO HANG TEN DUDE" hahaha wowwww we have some wonderful sayings don't we!!! lol. I'm surprised they didn't bring up the Jersey Shore! It just hit me that you're going to like, be an actual TEACHER. That's NUTS!!! Mrs. Dasher would be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i LOL-ed about your comment to the Canadian. Piggy Backers! I may use that. if they do bring up the jersey shore, please let them know that not all Americans are as ignorant, tan, and juiced up!!

    so glad you are settling into your home away from home already! i live for your posts. this blog is my new drug. thank you so much my sister! have a great day at school! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, One of the Italian guys in my class asked me about that.. he says " Why are they associated with the Italian culture?" I tried to explain.. but really couldnt?

    ReplyDelete