Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Western Goggles"

Before I came here, I viewed Cambodia as a poor, dirty, third world country. In the grand scheme of things, this is true. However, as I slowly learn the history of this great country I become more and more impressed by the people, and how far they have come. I assume the common American knows nothing about the history so I thought I would take this opportunity to enlighten you.

In 1975 Pol Pot was the ruler of the Khmer Rouge. To put this in laymen's terms. Pol Pot is to Cambodia, as Hitler is to Germany. Only this happened 36 years ago. Pol Pot's idea was, to kill anyone who was educated, wore glasses, had a job, and more often than not their family members as well. His only need for the Cambodian people was to work as farmers. People were tortured, and pictures were taken as trophies of all that were brutally murdered. When you look around this country you rarely see elderly people, and thats because more than 25% of Cambodia's population was killed off during Pol Pots reign. Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers. Years later, Vietnam finally invaded and over through the Khmer Rouge, but supporters are still still out there .

When looking at this country in this way, it truly is eye opening how these people live their day to day lives. More than half of America is on Prozac cause we are "clinically depressed" when less than 40 years ago human massacre was everywhere. As I walk around the city I see smiles, happy and, friendly people I am amazed by their strength. I fear as Americans, we feel we are better than everyone (which basically true) But we don't take the time to learn about other people which makes us ignorant. When I told people I was coming here they thought I was crazy, and I understand, its really not our fault. Its the way we were brought up. If we just took the time to take off our Western Goggles we may see that there is more to life than having the nicest computers, or biggest house.

Cheers! 

6 comments:

  1. Lisa, I was watching comedian Jim Jeffries a few weeks ago and he actually brought up that same point about being depressed. He is Australian but he also said that he is on medication for depression which he is ashamed of because he is famous and has more than enough money when meanwhile there are people in third world countries who are happy to be alive each day. Good point on the 'western goggles', did you come up with that term? I like :)
    Loving your blog so far!
    Lots of Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh Western Goggles! I am going to try to get Marge to take her's off immediately!! thank you for educating me, because i knew none of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very interesting, Lee! I read it out loud to Nick. I had no idea! Western Goggles- off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i still dont get it what is a western goggle

    ReplyDelete