Monday, January 10, 2011

We arrived! Monday, January 10th

Well, we finally made it! After what seemed like a never ending trip! Our plane rides whet a little something like this, 

We left JFK, NY at 10pm, after 5 hours stopped over in Vancouver, so contrary to what I thought we did not go over the north pole, instead cut across the United States to Canada. Dropped some passengers off, picked some up and continued our 15 hour trek to Hong Kong China, where we arrived 20 min too late and set back our entire trip. We then missed our connecting flight on the same airline to Bangkok, Thailand. So during our what is now our 3hour lay over we had to scurry around Hong Kong airport trying to figure out how we were going to get to our final destination, Cambodia. The current air line (Cathay Pacific) was no help, even though it was their fault we would be missing our 3rd flight, they did reschedule our 2nd one so that was somewhat helpful. We tried calling the 3rd airline, but have YOU ever tried making a telephone call from the other side of the world, not easy, not easy at all. In fact it was probably the most frustrating moments of our trip. Thank God for computers and the Internet or we would have been stranded! I'm not sure if its the millions of emails we sent, or if one of the girls in our class helped us out, but by some grace of God we did it. After we arrived in Bangkok and waited 3 more hours in the airport for our rinky dinky flight to Cambodia, we didn't know if the company was going to be there to pick us up and take us to our guest house or if we were going to have to figure it out on our own. I was really really really hoping it would not be the latter. By this point we ( and by we I mean Nick) was sleeping any chance he got. We had a game plan that we would switch on and off so someone would watch the luggage and we wouldn't get mugged while we rested up, but his blood shot eyes, and his deep snores made it really hard for me to wake him up, so I just stuck through it and let him sleep, but once we got on the plane it was LIGHTS OUT for me, NO, I do not want your microwave fish dinner, NO I do not want your carbonated orange juice, just give me my Visa application, I'm going to sleep!  Once we finally arrived in Cambodia we had no idea what was going to happen. After being hauled off the plane, herded and on to a shuttle bus to the airport, we went through customs and around the corner was the most beautiful sight I ever saw. A Cambodian man holding up a sign with mine and Nick's name on it. A HUGE sigh of relief. We could stop being responsible for just one moment get in the Tok Tok. (Pictures to come, but having a hard time uploading them) We flew through the city on what is basically a motorbike with a cabin and 2 wheels on the back loaded our luggage, and got our first look at Cambodia... Not tooo impressed. I could only compare it to what I feel Cuba looks like. Trash everywhere, run down buildings, and crazy Tok Tok drivers running red lights and only warning sing they are coming around the corner is an unpleasant "Beep Beep", or what we now call our 6am wake up call. We arrived to our room, which isn't half bad. Its no Ritz Carlton but its a one bedroom room, king size bed with 2 pillows, 1 silk sheet, a small tv (which actually gets HBO in English) and a toilet/shower/sink combo. After a few moments of Facebooking, I went right to sleep. 

It is now 7am, and we woke up pretty well rested! Nick turns to me and says " Its our first day of school, I'm gonna put on my nicest outfit!" Woke up took a shot of pepto, brushed my teeth and await our pick up at 8:45 to go to our first day of class, where we will finally get to meet the rest of our class mates who had the entire day yesterday to tour the city, and have a welcome dinner! So we are off, Nick said he thought he saw a sign for an American breakfast, but for now ill stick to my apple that our 1st friend Brad stole us from the VIP lounge in the airport. Excited for what today has in store for us. 
This is a Tok Tok, What picked us up from the air port, and what takes us around everywhere!

3 comments:

  1. When you say, "rinky dink" are we talking about a 12 seater plane? If so, I commend you!!! cant wait to hear about your first day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh so fun!!!!!! You are probably in class right now. I will attempt to skype you when I wake up at 5 30 am here 530 pm there. I know your super busy but I can be super annoying so please just smile as my million skype calls begin. I hope your computer let's you upload pics soon. How close is the beach to where you will be in four weeks. The google pics look amazing. Alright back to grading papers. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see pix! Shot 'o' Pepto??? LOVE <3

    ReplyDelete