Sunday, January 23, 2011

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Cambodia anymore...


It was almost the instant we crossed the border from Cambodia to Thailand, life got better. The food actually had flavor, the scenery went from huts and cows on the sides of the road to beautiful homes/bungalow. Now don't get me wrong, I feel as though I left a little piece of my heart in Cambodia. There was just something about the simplicity in the lifestyle there that I just really fell in love with. Sure the food was bland, but when you are a country just getting over mass genocide, and all the people who could actually cook were killed off, and the crops were burned other than ones that would make the dictator money.... ya have to stop and think.. <3 (Promise to get pictures up from The Killing Fields soon)



Moving on, right after we crossed the border we stopped at this little restaurant, and saw this amazing view. Our teacher/tour guide Rick said to me "This is going to be the worst view you see". I was slightly amazed. After a 4 hour bus ride from Cambodia to Thailand we hopped on a ferry and went to one of the biggest island in Thailand, Koh Chang. 


As soon as we got here we went out to dinner, literally on the beach. The waves were coming close to our table! It was really funny we sat down at the table and our chairs and we were all lopsided from the sand, and before we could even complain about it, servers from the restaurant came behind each leg of  our chairs and evened it out so we were all sitting evenly.. quality service! After dinner we went to this little bar with a live band that Rick (our teacher/tour guide) said was the best guitar player he had ever seen. I was doubtful, but as soon as he started playing, I could see where he was coming from. Ya know its really funny and somewhat annoying, but I'd say that 98% of the music we've heard has all been American music, or typical music you would hear in any other tropical area or cruise line. IE: Margaritaville, Brown Eyed Girl, Hotel California.. etc. Except when you hear an Asian rock and roller singing it sounds more like " Bown Eyed Giwl" Makes me laugh a little inside every time. 

We then had the morning to ourselves and decided to spend the entire day with our feet in the sand. The Thai's come up and down selling fresh fruit we went for the Mango! De-lish! After my stressful day of sun bathing and wading in the water.. I decided it was time for my 3rd massage this week! (HAHA) Except this time, my view looked a little something like this ....

Not too Shabby... Oh yeah and it only cost me $8. Funny side story, after I was done with my massage I went to pay the lady and accidentally grabbed my "Riel" ( Cambodian Currency) and handed it to her.. Aside from the conversion being less to nothing, Thailand and Cambodia aren't on the best of terms right now.. the woman looked at me like I had 8 heads.. we chuckled and I ran back to my towel and got her the proper form of currency. (Thai Baht) 

I've never been to an island that had mountains so I was really taking in the views...

Hahahah All of them.... God I love Europeans! <3 Speedos!

Living the life! :)



Swinging over the water... 


By around 4 we met back up with Rick, and he took us to this Seafood restaurant on stilts. Here we watched the sunset over the water and did a little shopping! I successfully bought a cute dress for about $7, and haggled the woman down from about $12, all in Thai. It was a very proud moment, as I was practicing how to say "Discount for me please" all during dinner. 

After dinner the group decided to go back to the beach for a little hookah, fire dancing, and music! 

<3 


All in all, I'd have to say, today was a great day. Much needed relaxation before our busy week ahead. Tomorrow we leave Koh Chang and head off to Pattaya Beach where we will be for the next 2 weeks. Here we will finish off our training and observation hours in real class rooms, I think I mentioned that I have been assigned to Kindergarden. I was a little nervous at first, but now I'm just getting excited. They wont know much English at all.. but as I will be taking baby steps into this whole teaching thing, it will be nice to start fresh with them too! Tomorrow, we will head to Waterfalls, and eat lunch at one! Anticipate beautiful pictures! :)


Thanks again for reading! Cheers!


8 comments:

  1. looks just like jax beach!!

    Teaching kindergarten and chillin on the pristine beaches of Thailand...rough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am overwhelmed. I didn't realize how beautiful Thailand was. Sounds like you are off to a great start, teaching kindergarten. I am glad I don't practice there-I could never survive on $8/hr. LOL
    Thanks for taking the time to update! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap, your pictures are amazing! I want to go to Thailand so much more now!
    And I'm so excited you'll be teaching Kindergarten! I guarantee you'll fall in love with those kids and have lots of funny stories to share with us. What grade is Nick doing?
    Post more pics! Don't even edit, I want to see them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if this $8 massage was for an hour, i would get one every day. love the fruit on the beach. very nice touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you read from the book yet?
    thank him for where you are in life....think about it.....love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Dorothy keep clicking your heels it seems to be working great. A dream come true! Love ya

    Marge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you guys are having an amazing time! I cant wait to hear what you will think about teaching kindergarten. That is the age I am teaching here in China :)

    - Chelsie

    ReplyDelete